The Golden Chance by Michael Ceraolo

Poem #3 in the Excuse My Dust sequence .


The Golden Chance

Dad got hired to write for the movies
and asked me to come along with him,
and I did  Why, you might ask?
"Curiosity"; that, and
"I'm fond of variety, in some ways"
It didn't take long for me to get hired:
"I landed my first job because I could swim"

After that first job
I did a handful of pictures
in the next year-and-a-half,
not yet fully committed
to the still-new medium
But then it was work work work:
over a hundred short films in a few years
before I appeared in my first feature
(though I went uncredited there)

It was in the midst of this work that I,
along with many others in the industry,
made the move to California
Many different settings:
mountains, ocean, desert, etc.
were readily available,
either right at hand or a short drive away,
and best of all we could film year-round,
no longer at the mercy of the New York winter

The curiosity that got me into movies in the first place
wasn't satisfied with just acting;
I was interested in all parts of the process,
even learning about camera operation
(though I never actually filmed a picture)
The scorecard on my activity,
as best as I can remember:
wrote:  two
wrote and directed:  one
wrote and acted in:  eight
directed:  ten
directed and acted in:  forty
wrote, directed, and acted in:  thirteen
All of them shorts

I was in The Birth of a Nation
in a small role (though Reid was misspelled),
and that led to a contract offer
from Famous Players-Lasky
Though the offer was as an actor only,
I accepted it thinking I would be able
to write and direct sooner or later
They planned to use me in features
primarily if not exclusively:
Carmen was my first feature with star billing
(you wouldn't think an opera
would work well without the singing,
but this one did)
And The Golden Chance was the first feature
with my name above the title

Though I made it out to California
decades after the gold rush had ended,
I struck gold in a different way:
by marrying an actress named Dorothy Davenport
Though she was a few years younger than me,
she had been in pictures longer
and considered me a mere boy
when we first worked together
(we would work together in dozens of movies)
I knew right away she was the one
She wasn't so sure about me,
though having her mother in my corner from the start
probably helped her make up her mind about me
Her mother even urged and actor and me
to move in with her and Dorothy
so we could all save expenses and concentrate on our careers
It took a couple of years,
but Dorothy decided on me,
and we were married October 13, 1913

Comments

Popular Posts