Poetry Series by Christine Tabaka

 Your Warmth

 
Twenty-six years together,
eight of them good,
none really bad.
 
So what if we sleep
in separate rooms?
 
Many of my friends
tell me they have
the same arrangement.
 
It’s not as if I should miss you
next to me after all these years -
but I do.
 
I know all the excuses.
We both snore,
I have a bad back,
the list goes on.
 
But still –
the warmth of you next to me
is what I miss the most.
 
*   Published by Academy of the Heart and Mind, July 2020
 

Behind Closed Eyes
 
There was a place
I used to hide.
A distant far off land.
 
Behind closed eyes,
soft colors swam among
sweet whispered scents.
 
Now, awake at three a.m.,
my heart begins to race.
Pulsating emotions fill my head.
 
Chaotic visions beyond
the realm of known truth
enter my weary mind. 
 
No sleep, no rest.
Mental exhaustion plays
dancing feedback loops.
 
My hiding place now vanquished.
Dreams that are worth dreaming
come at a dear price.
 
*   Published by The Write Connection, July 2019
 
 
Collection Site
 
Life,
once organized
in neat little compartments
now spills out of bounds.
Objects and ideas,
no longer carefully placed,
but tossed about
in a riotous mosaic.
 
Life,
has become a collection site,
a catchall for forgotten dreams,
as busyness takes its toll.
Little bits and pieces filling
all the vacant spaces,
like some enormous
junk drawer for the universe.
 
Life,
lost in the rubble,
searches for itself.
It is time to clear out
rusty ideas and objects,
to reassemble structure.
Discovering hidden treasures,
I bring order back to life.
 
*   Published by Peach Velvet Magazine, April 2019
 

Ann Christine Tabaka, Poet & Writer - Pushcart Prize in Poetry Nominee

Comments

Popular Posts