Twenty-Three to Twenty-one by Michael Ceraolo

 #23


                        "[1883  Sep 15]

My very bad friend,

(Who does not deserve
that I should care where he goes, or what becomes of him!)
Are you coming to Newport?
One day I hear that you are, the next that you are not"

"Sometimes . . . when I feel exceedingly gloomy,
I have an idea I would like you to come & talk to me"
"I like the sound of your voice"
"Will you come?
Of course, if you are an old bundle of worldliness
& have no heart, you needn't"

But "If you can remember a time when you were very unhappy
& I tried to say things to comfort you" then
"Do come if you can
22 Brimley st.           Yours Sincerely
Newport R.I.    (Julia I. Sand)     J.I.S.
Sept 15th, 1883.

Arthur:

I noticed that you did not say anything
about my signing the Civil Service Act,
which, though limited in scope,
will be a good beginning
and I think the signature achievement of my administration

I remember coming to see you,
and that in person you were the opposite
of the way you are in your letters,
so I don't think I'll be coming to see you
in Newport, New York, or anyplace else

Comments

Popular Posts