The Bellamy Brothers by Michael Ceraolo

 The Bellamy Brothers


The poet is having a little joke here
                                                      Although
Edward's daughter Marian called me Uncle Frank,
we were first cousins, not brothers
Edward was five years older,
                                           and
we grew up a few hundred miles apart;
he became a writer and I a minister,
                                                     but
we both came to the belief that
"It had meant liberty
for great corporations
to oppress the people"
He offered a solution in his great book;
I started one of the first Nationalist clubs
created to bring about the society
based on the principles of the book,
                                                     and
preached about those principles as well
My espousal of said principles
didn't sit well with some of my parishioners,
                                                                so
I resigned my ministry

A few years later, as part of the run-up
to the Columbus quatercentenary,
I got the write a utopian yearning of my own,
originally twenty-two words,
later twenty-three with the addition of the second to
so that its cadence was better,
something that's now thirty-one words
(and not improved by the additions
made throughout the years,
                                         including
the two words added many years after my death)
I didn't protest the additions and changes
made during my lifetime because
my authorship was questioned,
                                               though
I believe today I am accepted
as the author of the piece

You know the current thirty-one words,
so judge for yourself if they're
an improvement over my twenty-three:

I pledge Allegiance to my Flag
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation indivisible,
                                 with
liberty and justice for all

Comments

Popular Posts