Bill Valentine by Michael Ceraolo

 Bill Valentine


I started in Class D at eighteen
just as many players did then,
and made it to the American League at thirty
A few weeks before the end of my sixth year
Cronin fired Al Salerno and me,
ostensibly for incompetence but actually
because we were trying to organize a union
Al was more of an activist than me, but I was involved too:
we needed a union; the National League umps,
who had one, made more money than we did
We filed a lawsuit and the League offered to settle;
part of the settlement was that we would
have to start back in the minors first
I was willing to do so but Al wasn't,
and they wouldn't settle with just one of us
We lost our suit and the unfair labor practice
I saw where a later book described me as a tragic figure
That's ridiculous; only a few years later
I landed the job as the Arkansas Travelers' GM,
had success, and kept that job for thirty-one years,
and even moved up to executive VP
for two years before retiring
My life was not the stuff of tragedy

Comments

Popular Posts