The Road to Glory by Michael Ceraolo from The Profane Angel





from The Profane Angel

          The Road to Glory

"I'm intensely interested in and
enthusiastic about everything I do,
everything"
"I give it all I've got
and I love it"
                      And
I did so for as long as I lived,
starting as a very young girl,
                                           which
led to me getting my first movie role
The prolific director Allan Dwan
spotted me either
taking boxing lessons from Benny Leonard
or playing baseball in the street

Or else he was told about me by someone
who had seen me doing those things
and he thought I would be perfect
for the part of the tomboy kid sister
in his upcoming movie A Perfect Crime

Or maybe he just wanted to help a fellow Hoosier;
who knows the true story at this point?

Whatever his reason or reasons,
he decided to approach me,
asking if I would be interested
in appearing in his movie
Of course,
                 I said yes
(I was already taking drama lessons),
                                                        but
he would need Petey's permission
Of course, she also said yes

Though being decently received
and me being decent in it
(and no known prints available
that could contradict my story)
it didn't lead to a career right away
But I now had the bug,
                                   so
I went back to school and bided my time
until I turned sixteen and could quit
And when I did so, there was
a Fox contract as a Sweet Sixteen present

The studio decided that my name,
Jane Peters, would have to go:
they wanted to steer clear of the
sexual connotation of the last name
and thought the first name was too ordinary
We brainstormed and came up with Carol
(sometimes with an e on the end, sometimes not,
until the e became permanent years later)
I came up with the last name Lombard
to honor some family friends

The life of a teenage flapper
(albeit and underage one):
                                        Charleston contests,
many against another aspiring starlet,
Joan Crawford,
                        dates, etc.
As a defense mechanism
I asked my brothers to teach me to swear
At first reluctant, they did such a good job
that I became so proficient at it
it later became one of my trademarks

I was in a number of features that year,
mostly supporting roles (some uncredited)
and I even had a starring role,
in a Western of all things,
with fellow Hoosier Buck Jones
It was when working on The Road to Glory
with director Howard Hawks
that the first setback occurred
I had recently turned seventeen
and was in a car accident where
the windshield shattered and the glass shards
sliced up my face in a few places

Plastic surgery:  14 stitches
done without benefit of anaesthesia
so as to minimize the scarring
Then having to keep my head still for months
to allow the healing to be complete
Imagine,
              me being still
                                    for that long
But I did what I had to do,
making the best of a bad situation

                                                     Though
it sure as hell didn't seem so at the time,
I realized not too long afterwards
that things could have been much worse:
"another inch,
                      half an inch maybe,
                                                    a turn of my head,
and my whole fuckin' career could have been over"

Comments

Popular Posts