William Howard Taft by Michael Ceraolo

William Howard Taft

Like everybody back then I played ball in my youth
And you probably know I was the first President
to throw out a ceremonial first pitch
I have a few other tangential connections
to baseball that you might not know about
I taught law to Miller Huggins,
telling him he could be a player or a pleader
but not both, at least not successfully,
and though he did pass the bar,
I think he made the right career choice
My half-brother Charles owned the Cubs for a time
And when baseball was considering changing its governing structure,
they approached me to be the single Commissioner
While being the chief judge of baseball would have been an honor,
my heart was set on being the Chief Judge of the country,
so I turned them down,
and I think I made the right choice for me

Comments

Popular Posts