Katie Sue by Anne Shiever



Katie Sue
04142020





GETTING OVER YOU



Oh why does it have to hurt so much

Getting over the loss of you

When I know you’re in a better place

My precious little Katie Sue



Saying goodbye came so suddenly

I thought I was better prepared

While I sit here in mourning

I feel so lost and somewhat scared



As you kept looking up at me

The memory of those little eyes

I said go to sleep my furry child

I knew part of me died inside



We gave you every chance we could

To give you the best quality of life

You just didn’t give up easy

Not without one more fight



Oh Katie Sue it hurts so bad

You were a special lifeline

I’m trying hard to keep my promise

That mommy will be just fine



Some people will think it’s crazy

To feel the way that I do

But you were my very special little lady

My precious Katie Sue



Some people said it’s like losing a child

I happen to think that they are right

Someone who comforted me all the time

And slept so close to me at night



You always waited for me

And greeted me at the door

I miss that little woo woo bark

That I won’t hear no more



I washed all your favorite blankets

Your toys, your bed, and your clothes

I wish the pain could fade away

How long it lasts nobody knows



All I know is that I loved you

Maybe pet lovers really do care

Until we meet again someday

Your memory is what I can share



I won’t forget the way you looked at me

And everything we ever went through

No other dachshund will take your place

My precious little Katie Sue

**************

Anne Shiever 04142020


A little about Katie Sue's miracle story.....

A TRIBUTE TO KATIE SUE a little poem about her story…

My Precious Little Furry Baby (Her secret story)...Proof miracles do happen everyday! It may answer why I'm having such a difficult time with losing her now. She was my lifeline when my mother died 3 year's ago and had her stroke in 2011.


A TRIBUTE TO KATIE SUE (HER STORY)

I will never forget the first time I saw you. A tiny little puppy a couple houses away from me all alone out in the cold. You whimpered and you whined but you were still so brave and bold.

My husband said “Honey what’s making all that noise. I need to get some sleep.” I said “A beautiful little baby dachshund. Oh, I wish she were mine to keep.”

The owner had left the house, but I really didn’t care. It wasn’t right to leave little Katie Sue, a tiny puppy on a big heavy chain standing all alone over there.

I watched the two month old puppy wiggle and squirm trying to get herself free. I was afraid she would get injured; until she finally saw a glimpse of me.

I called her name from my fence post. I already knew her name. She had no food, water, or shelter just a big old heavy chain.

She quieted down a little and I took her something to eat and drink. I know I shouldn’t be over here right now, but I’ll visit you again I said to her with a wink.

She watched me walk away from her although she kept wagging her tail. I decided to add her to my prayer list for a great miracle to unveil.

Then one night it was bitter cold and she was back outside again. This time her chain was all tangled up, and she was caught out in the cold freezing rain.

Again no water or shelter I couldn’t stand to see her cry. I went over to wrap her in a blanket as a tear fell from my eye. I sat outside and sang to her a special little song. She already had a place in my heart, right where she belonged.

The temperature dropped to 32 degrees and I knew I just had to go. I made a little nest for her to stay out of the snow.

I heard her whimpering it sounded like a baby cry. Why someone would want to torture her like that; I just had to ask myself why!

I decided to file a complaint. I normally mind my own business and I don’t care what the neighbors do; but this concerned that precious little puppy, that beautiful Katie Sue.

The police woman came over to talk to me, and to check on little Katie; but suddenly I heard a car door slam, and there stood that lady! She told me and the officer she paid good money for little Katie so she would do whatever she wanted with her, that precious furry baby.

A couple months went by, and I continued to talk to Katie Sue whenever I had the chance. She was such a good little girl, but the owner was such a smarty pants.

I saw them packing and I knew they were going to move. All I could think about was what would happen to little Katie Sue.

The only thing put my mind at ease was to say a prayer each night. I begged God to watch over Katie Sue and make sure she was doing alright.

Six months went by, and I still thought about little Katie Sue. I figured she had to be full grown by now and I wondered what she had been through.

I watched the ads at the animal shelter, in case she ended up in there. Having Katie come to live with me, would be the answer to my prayer.

Then one night a girl at work asked me if I still took in little dachshunds in need of a good home. She said this friend had a little dog that kept running away from her and all she did was roam.

I said none of my babies ever tried to run away from us. They always know they are loved very much.

Then she told me, well this dog ran away again but this time she gave birth to puppies. I asked how many puppies. She told me two, but they are keeping the puppies; they want to get rid of Katie Sue!

OMG, I said; did she ever live by me. She said, I don’t know but I’ll give you her number. You can give her a call and see.

The next day I came home from work and told my husband about Katie Sue. Could it be the same little puppy, I’d already given my heart to?

I told my good friend Stacy about the dachshund I was going to try to get. She told me about these little puppies next to her and the horror I won’t ever forget!

I called the lady on the phone, and my heart sank to my feet. I remembered that voice once more, so afraid of what I might meet.

I said very softly, I’m inquiring about a little dachshund you have named Katie Sue. I heard you want to find her a new home, and I’d like to take her if you would like me too.

She said, she’s a stupid little bitch! All she does is run away and cost me a fortune. I’m tired of getting her out. You can have that mutt if you want her. I tried to be sympathetic but my heart was pounding out loud.

She told me Katie was outside where she belonged, and my heart sank to my knees. I thought to myself oh please let her be alright, it’s over 110 degrees.

We went to the address to get Katie Sue. I had already called our vet. The lady brought me a very hot dog and said, Here’s your stupid pet. You can have Katie Sue, but her puppies aren’t for sale yet.

We turned on the ac in the car and drove as fast as we could to get checked out. It was her, my Katie Sue that my prayers were all about.

She was extremely overheated and doctor said had a bad case of malnutrition. The vet said you’ll be lucky to have a dog by morning, only time will tell in her critical condition.

Tears fell from my eyes once more, so close but yet so far. Oh God please spare our Katie Sue, don’t let her die in the car.

We took her in and laid her down by the foot end of our bed. Our other dachshunds gathered around her lying all around her head.

She looked at me with those beautiful eyes, and I said; Katie I’ve waited so long. Please my little furry baby, you’ve got to fight and just stay strong.

I fed her water with an eye dropper, and wiped her with a cool cloth too. I stayed up with her throughout the night, it’s all that we could do.

Our other babies stayed very close to her; but, Francie seemed to bond with her right from the start. Sweet little Katie Sue already won their heart.

24 hour hours went by, and that little dog never did move from the end of the bed. So happy she was still alive, but the outcome I did dread.

I stayed in contact with the vet and did everything that I could. I wanted to be the best mom for her. I think she understood.

We were so happy when Katie Sue finally came around. She was one of our little blessings, one of the best ones we’ve ever found.

Katie Sue loved to go outside with me when I worked in the yard.  She persistently dug a hole, even when the ground was hard.  She let me know if she found a tree root in the ground.  You heard a loud woo woo bark for many miles around!

She never tried to run away from me, but she really knew how to climb without any fear. One day I found her on the roof of the garage, and I almost shed a few tears.

She was simply after a cat who wandered in the yard. A possum, skunk, racoon, squirrel, it didn’t matter she protected us everyday. And when I’d come home late from work “woo woo” was what she would say.

Whenever I left for a trip, she waited at the door. Two or three days would go by before daddy was good enough not to ignore.

There wasn't a rescue dachshund of ours she didn't win over, she was a care-giver to all, that's the simple truth. It was the kind-hearted spirit of lovely Katie Sue.

She took care of our two littlest dachshunds as they were her own, and her brother Mick. When he became a handicapped puppy, she climbed into the playpen with him so he wouldn't have to be all alone. She tended to him when he got so sick.  She even shared her bone.

She bonded with Missy. We got them about three months apart. They shared a similar story as mother dachshunds in need of a good home.  They bonded better than blood siblings right from the start.

She was my girl, over and over again…she was more than “just a dog”…she was my very special friend!  When I was sad, she was there.  When I was happy she would speak.  When I had a bad day, she just knew.  She was my very special precious Katie Sue!

Katie Sue even went with me to care for my mom when she was in the Nursing home.  She was such a good furry baby. Then she went with me to see mom Norma too all dressed up like a little lady!

Then one day we both came home from work and we thought she ate a squeaker out of a doggie toy. We drove to Manhattan Emergency Clinic where they quickly took my bundle of joy.

She stayed there quite some time. She needed an oxygen tent for air. I had to give her a fighting chance. It was Katie Sue, so I said another prayer.  Katie won their hearts too.  She knew exactly what she needed to do.

Katie was a rare case. She had a complex heart condition. The vet gave her another chance at quality of life; but her cancer was not in remission.

We re-arranged our schedules to give her medications every 8 hours. We would have done it for any of them; but that little girl was ours.

Katie developed tumors and so did her sissy Missy. Missy had surgery to remove them but the outcome was still cancer that wouldn’t go away. Katie was too fragile and the cancer was there to stay.

Then we got our rescue Charlie, and he was another one in bad shape too. But leave it to Katie Sue, she knew exactly what to do.

Charlie and her were buddies. They played together for hours. She didn’t let her obstacles stop her; but she let him know she had the power. Katie knew how to tell him when she had enough. She had control over Charlie so he wouldn’t get too rough.

Then we got Anne, and Katie Sue worked to pull her out of her shell. She’d often hide in the covers, but Katie had that magical spell. Missy took to the little one as though she were her child. It gave Katie time to rest when things got a little bit wild.

Everywhere I took her, Katie Sue walked around so proud. She loved to wear her new dresses walking with her lead. She wanted to show everyone how pretty she could be.

Students would gather round Katie Sue to learn, when she had to go to K-State to meet. One day I saw a little white horse inside her screen, as Katie Sue laid with pads on her little feet. She loved Dr Thomason, and he would give her a little treat!

Cancer is a terrible thing. It’s what finally did her in. Even with the chemo treatments, her quality of life was wearing thin. I know I did my very best, and we both gave her a fighting chance to live happy as long as she could. I also knew we had to let her go like loving parents should.

I made all the final arrangements, but God must have heard my prayers to be with her when it was her time to go. When she woke me from my nap this morning, I knew there were only a few hours left on earth for her though.

I looked at my husband with sadness in my eyes. I said to him I know today our Katie’s going to die. He told me, “Anne just hold her close and give her all your love; til she goes home to our great God above.”

Tears fell from both our faces, “why does it have to hurt so bad when they leave this world”. All I know is Katie Sue, our beautiful little dachshund, was a very special little girl!

Katie gave us over 12 years of unconditional love, protection, and affection. With tiny doggie kisses, tail wags, and sending messages by staring me down in my sleep; my little baby never felt rejection.

Yet, even though I was somewhat prepared to say until we meet again; today the day has come, I had to say good bye to my special furry friend. As she died in my arms at my computer desk where I always go to write, she knew that she was leaving me and I had to tell her “go to sleep baby, mommy will be alright” I knew it would never really be the end.

Somehow she will still watch over me with her special little doggie wings. God just has gained a new furry baby angel now…”woowoo” is what she sings!

I love you Katie Sue! You have a piece of mommy’s heart forever. Play with the brothers and sisters who have gone before you, and tell our family members we miss them too. I know that I will have a very tough time getting over the loss of you; until we meet again someday!

I will always love you, my beautiful Katie Sue!  Someday I will write your story as a children's book and I'll draw you proud.  I promise!

04142020





Comments

Popular Posts